Dream Log Entries Part I: My Head Is Diseased

As a measure of my sanity, writing skills, and memory, I have started to keep a dream log. I keep a slim moleskine journal and a pen within reach of my pillow and upon awakening, I quickly jot down anything and everything I can remember about what occurred in the land of sleep.

After a week of doing this, I must say - my dreams are going to provide some fine and outlandish kick-starts for my future works of fiction.

So I decided to add a weekly post to this blog detailing the more interesting dreams I've had in that week's time, or as long as the dreams are regularly provided and recalled with enough lucidity. I've found that instead of having a recurring dream or one long episode lasting the entirety of my sleep, I usually have at least 3-4 dreams that are all vastly different and appropriately strange. Typically, I can only recall bits and pieces of a few of them, never the whole thing.

Following are some notes straight from the property of my brain while sleeping, from 10/23-10/27:

"Wandering around an unfamiliar place, akin to an empty neighborhood. I find myself in a backyard, very bog-like in setting. Piranhas prowl the waters and are feasting on bright colored fish. A flying fish breaks the surface as it leaps from the water. I turn toward the hilly shore and see a small turtle on the sands, followed by a massive snapping turtle. It is at this point where the dream starts to feel abnormally real, as if all of my senses are far more acute than what they would be in reality. I wander into an airy estate with wide windows through the back door. No one is home except and elderly woman. She leads me into the bathroom, transforming into a younger version of herself (which is still not very young) and attempts to seduce me. I response by leaving, seeing an old friend from back home walking down the sidewalk with a despondent demeanor. Details begin to fade at this point, other things occur, more people show up. A kid falls on his bike and loses several of his teeth. Fade out..."

"My forehead is made of embedded popcorn kernels. My hair consists of sticky pecans literally buried into my scalp. I shower to rid myself of the mess and complexion. My hair stains the water brown. Fade out..."

"I am on a beach in what appears to be a foreign country (eventually find it out it is Switzerland). I believe my dad and younger brother are there. I encounter a Swedish man who has lived there for 10 years with his dog. We all come upon a massive beached whale, flipped on its back, entangled in a massive leech-like creature, who has suffocated it like an anaconda would. Somewhere in my mind I realize this creature is called a "snapper". Don't ask. Both the leech and whale are dead and we vainly try to move the carcass. In what appears to be the same dream, I see a beautiful snow-capped mountain range across the water. I ask my dad which mountains they are and he responds by telling me they are the Swiss Alps. I weep, because they are so beautiful. I've always wanted to see the Alps. There is more, but I lose it. Fade out..."

Some of these are obviously disturbing. I kid you not, the dream about my forehead turning into popcorn kernels was the most terrifying thing I'd ever witnessed, as silly as it sounds. These are only a few of the dreams I had, easily the most vivid. Because I had the time to to do so, I did a search online to see if I could find any significance to any of the symbols in the dreams. I looked up the dream meanings behind the words "beach", "whale", and "auditorium" (I was in one in at least two dreams, unmentioned above). Here's what I found:

Whale
To see a whale in your dream represents your intuition and awareness. You are in tuned with your sense of spirituality. Alternatively, a whale symbolizes a relationship or business project that may be too big to handle. You are feeling overwhelmed. The dream may also be a pun on "wailing" and a desire to cry out about something.

Auditorium
To dream that you are in an auditorium indicates that there is something that you need to learn from others. Pay attention to those around you.

Beach
To see the beach in your dream symbolizes the meeting between your two states of mind. The sand is symbolic of the rational and mental processes while the water signifies the irrational, unsteady, and emotional aspects of yourself. It is a place of transition between the physical/material and the spiritual.

To dream that you are on the beach and looking out toward the ocean indicates unknown and major changes that are occurring in your life. Consider the state of the ocean, whether it is calm, pleasant, forbidding, etc.








(interpretations were found here)




The whale entry is interesting because the whale was obviously dead, so according to the definition above it may mean my intuition and awareness is kaput. I can't say I disagree with this. On the other hand, I've always been afraid of whales, so there is a very real sense of fear connected with the whole thing.

The auditorium entry makes sense to me because I can always be learning from others. On both occasions, I was a part of the audience and there were familiar faces in both instances.

Lastly, the beach entry confuses me a little bit. It's confusing because it's so accurate. The rational and the irrational constantly war in my mind, irrationality usually winning out. In addition to this, the whole "looking toward the ocean" indicating major changes coming is spot on as well. Even though I've been in this brand new environment for almost 5 months, I am currently contemplating changes that are going to drastically alter my life in the next few months. Anxiety is obviously connected to this, commonplace with anything involving the future.

Not that I believe any of this, but it is a very interesting take on the processes of my mind. I've never put much stock in dreams, mainly because they're confusing as all get out, but I'll continue this process of recording my dreams because analyzing my brain is becoming a favorite exercise of mine.

You should try it. You might scare yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I've been listening to a lot of metal lately. Like, a lot. The HAARP Machine, Intervals, Dweller, etc. I won't recommend any of it to anyone.
I'm excited about seeing Cloud Atlas for the second time tonight. Literally the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Also, read the book. I also look forward to wearing my incredibly creepy Obi-Wan Kenobi costume for the Harvest Festival at church on Wednesday. I'll bet I make at least one parent scowl at me.

Cheers, everyone.
JDS

Comments